Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A year ago today....

Wow! How fast time passes. Last year at this time I was quietly resting in my room at Baptist Hospital in Nashville, TN recovering from my surgery to remove a rather large ovarian tumor. By the grace of God, it was benign! Thank you Jesus! I will forever be grateful for the gift of that blessing.

It was rather scary how it was all discovered and how quickly everything unfolded. In late September I had an ultrasound to see how many eggs I had--didn't know this was even possible, but hey, I was curious. Or rather, God was protecting me. With my advancing age, I've been pretty concerned about my potential infertility. The doctor said she could look at my ovaries and have a better assessment of my current and near-future fertility possibilities. That was the intention, but as soon as she began the ultrasound everything changed. Dr. Whitworth said, "Oh my. You have a large cyst on your left ovary. Have you been cramping?" Well, trying to process what was being said to me, I just replied with, "Well, yes, but I thought that was normal." After this she began taking all kinds of measurements and telling me that I was going to have to have surgery.......this is about all I really remember. The rest seems like a huge blur. Of course I was bawling at this point and couldn't imagine 1. having to have an IV--ick! 2. being intubated to be put to sleep and 3. what kind of pain was this going to cause? I hate needles! I'm the biggest weenie out there.

Naturally, I was alone for this appointment. But who was expecting traumatic news? This was supposed to be an informational appointment--but not for bad news. Dr. Whitworth was so kind, and ever so patient with me. I immediately began text messaging Gary and my family of what was going on. It was such a nightmare to me.


Then I had to have blood tests done---great, more needles! Of course, I'm still bawling like a baby. Then my blood sugar dropped and I thought I was going to pass out, so they had to give me a snack and I think they gave me some juice too. Yes, total basketcase. Dr. Whitworth then referred me to Dr. Wheelock, a gynecologic oncologist. (Gary went with me for all other doctor's appointments. Thanks Honey!) Dr. Wheelock is the one who termed Thorn (the name of this thing quickly growing inside me....the "thorn" in my side) as a TUMOR. This was an alarming label to me because until that moment, I wasn't even considering that Thorn might be cancerous. More tears.

He advised that I schedule surgery within the next 3-4 weeks. I wasn't ready. Could I ever be ready? Would I ever be ready? My surgery was scheduled for Monday, October 22, 2007.

By the grace of God, Thorn was non-cancerous. But unfortunately, as Dr. Wheelock expected, the tumor was too big to save my left ovary and fallopian tube. The tumor had consumed them both! Thorn was initially measured at 6.38cm x 9.4cm. Five days before my surgery, it had grown to 7.35cm x 9.86 cm. The final pathology measurement was something like 9cm x 11cm if I remember correctly. I do remember that it weighed 1.16 pounds! Ever the picture fanatic, of course I asked my doctor if they'd take a picture of Thorn for me once it was out.....I hope you weren't too grossed-out! Honestly though, all joking aside, I'm truly grateful that it was benign. Dr. Wheelock said the white-looking parts of the tumor are what end up becoming cancerous. As you can see, there were a lot of "white-looking parts." Dr. Wheelock's words were, "You dodged a bullet."


My Mom selflessly took off work for two weeks to come and be with me, to love me, support me, encourage and comfort me and of course to nurse me back to health! I so appreciate you being there for me Mom! Thank you, my recovery wouldn't have been the same without your love, compassion and presence. Extra kudos to you for putting up with me while I was on Percocet too....boy that stuff can really make a person grouchy! My Mom was so understanding.....I don't know how she did it. I couldn't stand myself on that stuff!


Aside from an ugly four inch scar (aka. war wound), I've healed up very nicely! I always remind myself that I'd rather have this scar than to be dealing with cancer and chemo and all of that. I'll take the scar...thank you. :-)


Thank you too family and friends for your love, support and encouragement during that hurdle in my life a year ago. I know so many people were praying for me and it means so much to me. I'm so thankful it's all now behind me! Thank you Jesus for healing me.

No comments: